For keto dieters, a good breakfast menu can consist of foods that are high in healthy fats and low in carbohydrates. Here are some ideas:
- Avocado and eggs: Slice an avocado in half and remove the pit. Crack an egg into the hole left by the pit and bake in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 15-20 minutes.
- Greek yogurt with berries and nuts: Full-fat Greek yogurt with a handful of berries and nuts is a tasty and filling breakfast option.
- Keto smoothie: Blend together coconut milk, avocado, spinach, and a scoop of protein powder for a nutritious and keto-friendly smoothie.
- Low-carb omelet: Make an omelet with eggs, cheese, spinach, and other low-carb vegetables.
- Keto pancakes: Mix together almond flour, eggs, and unsweetened almond milk to make low-carb pancakes. Top with butter and sugar-free syrup.
- Bacon and eggs: Fry up some bacon and eggs in butter or coconut oil for a satisfying breakfast.
Remember, the key to a keto diet is to keep your carbohydrate intake low, so avoid high-carb breakfast foods like toast, cereal, and fruit juices.
Some breakfast menu items that are often wrong for the keto diet include:
- Cereal and milk: Most cereals are high in carbs and contain added sugars. Even “healthy” cereal options can be problematic on a keto diet. Milk also contains lactose, which is a type of sugar, and can add to your carb intake.
- Toast and jam: Toast is made from bread, which is high in carbs. Jam is also high in sugar and can add unnecessary carbs to your meal.
- Oatmeal: Although oatmeal is a healthy breakfast option for many people, it is high in carbs and not suitable for the keto diet.
- Pancakes and waffles: Traditional pancakes and waffles are made with flour and are high in carbs. Even low-carb options can still have a higher carb count than what is recommended on a keto diet.
- Fruit juice: Fruit juice is high in sugar and carbs, making it unsuitable for the keto diet.
In general, it’s important to avoid high-carb and high-sugar breakfast items when following a keto diet. Stick to foods that are high in healthy fats and low in carbs to ensure you stay in ketosis.